38 mass graves discovered in Kasai
منذ 1 سنهJuly 13, 2017, 8:24 pm
The UN mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) said in a statement today that 38 more mass graves have been discovered in the restive Kasai region.
This brings to 80 the total number of mass graves discovered in the country since this year began. The army claims that the people buried there were killed by local militiamen.
''The 38 new mass graves were found this month in the Diboko and Sumbula areas of Kamonia territory,'' said a UN mission statement.
The central Kasai region is the stronghold of the Kamuina Nsapu militia. Violence between the militia and security forces worsened in August 2016 after government troops killed the group’s leader.
As of late April, more than 400 people had been killed in fighting between Congolese security forces and militiamen, according to the UN. World Bulletin News